TcSUHK-12 Educational Programs
TcSUH faculty and staff support science education at the elementary and secondary school levels through programs that provide activities to explain basic science concepts. Our activities encourage students to pursue careers in science and engineering.
Workshop Presentations for Science Teachers with Houston Area Science Educators
- Presentations on labs, demonstrations, and activities that illustrate science principles that are related to TcSUH research.
- In-service presentations at local schools.
- Science fair judging, classroom demonstrations, and science content consultations as requested.
Tours and Demonstrations of TcSUH Facilities for Houston Area Students and Teachers
- Tours of TcSUH research facilities, demonstrations and talks for elementary, middle school, and high school students and their teachers.
- Tours for science teachers for the purpose of professional development.
- An average of 1,000 students and teachers visit per year.
Super Science Carnival for Elementary School Students
- Science activities for 5th grade students from area elementary schools and their teachers.
- Demonstrations of science principles through immersive activities by TcSUH and UH faculty, researchers, and graduate students, museums, zoo and industry volunteers.
- "Experiments for Teachers" manual and take home experiments for students.
- Experiments and demonstrations from Physics, Chemistry, Biology & Biochemistry, Geosciences, Chemical Engineering, Electrical & Computer Engineering, Mechanical Engineering.
High School Internships
- Summer internships are available for talented high school students to work as a team member in a multidisciplinary laboratory environment.
- Advanced science curriculum that includes opportunities for study and independent research in superconductivity and advanced materials under the mentorship of TcSUH faculty, researchers, and graduate students.
- Student written presentations of research to peers, and to TcSUH graduate students, researchers, and faculty.
- University of Houston recruitment of high school students.
- Opportunity for high school students and parents to learn about undergraduate research opportunities for physics, chemistry, and engineering undergraduates in TcSUH laboratories.
- Program overviews and opportunities to talk with TcSUH faculty, space researchers, graduate and undergraduate students.
TcSUHS Science and Engineering Award Science Engineering Fair of Houston
- Three Special Awards given at the Science Engineering Fair of Houston to outstanding projects in materials science and engineering.
- Three Project Certificates and Prizes (1st—$300, 2nd—$200, 3rd—$100).
Community Distinguished Lecture Series and Open House International Conferences
- Annual lectures by Nobel Laureates and distinguished scientists for Houston area high school students and teachers and the general public.
- Open house that shows students current research in superconductivity and advanced materials through lab tours and demonstrations.
- Special Science Section for high school teachers at TcSUH hosted international conferences.
- TcSUH-Hosted 6th International Conference on Materials and Mechanisms of Superconductivity and High Temperature Superconductors, February 20-25, 2000: Special Science Section for high school teachers and students, George R. Brown Convention Center.
- International Applied Superconductivity Conference, August 2002: Special Science Section for high school teachers and students, George R. Brown Convention Center.
- TcSUH-Hosted World Space Congress/European Space Agency tours and events in October 2002 for U.S. and International university student participants.